Ice Cream Cones - Wayne Thiebaud Inspired
1. 8 ½ ” x 11” White Paper or Larger
6. Paint Brush
1. Place your paper in the landscape position, we’re going to begin by creating the starting points for the ice cream cone holder
a. Find the middle of the paper (horizontally), place the ruler there.
b. Move the ruler down 1 ½ inches from the middle and draw a line across
c. Move the ruler down ¼ of an inch draw a parallel line
2. Let’s start the cones, take your ruler and create a triangle shape, the shape should start above your horizontal lines (do not cross over them) and end below them
a. Repeat the above step for each ice cream cone, create a 2 inch space between each cone
b. Connect the sides of the cones, with a curved line just above the first horizontal line drawn, to complete the cones
3. Now create the “ice cream” on top of each cone, make it a single, double or triple scoop up to you!
4. Let’s complete the cone holder by creating a 3rd horizontal line. Use your ruler, place it on the first horizontal line drawn, move it up about 1 ¼ inch, draw a line across, be sure not to cross over your cones.
5. Time to create shadows
a. To the left of each cone, on top of the ice cream cone holder, draw a small triangle
b. Just below the “ice cream” draw a small line across the cone
c. On the bottom of each cone, just below the second horizontal line, draw a line about ¼ inch wide on each cone
6. Let’s paint!
a. Make you ice cream whatever “flavor” you like with your paints use either watercolor or acrylics, we used watercolor. Be sure to use a dark and light version of the color, use both colors, don’t mix them however create separate areas within your “ice cream” to use them. You can have a different “flavor” for each ice cream if you like
b. Paint the cones now, shades brown and tan work best
c. The shadow areas are next, paint these in a dark color a dark blue or dark purple works well
d. The background can be any fun color such as yellow, lime green, orange, you decide
7. Final Step, you will need three markers, red, blue, black
a. Use the red marker to trace the first horizontal line drawn
b. Use the blue marker to trace the second horizontal line drawn
c. Use the black to trace the third horizontal line drawn